righting reflex in a sentence
- Should a swimming scallop land on its left side, it is capable of flipping itself over to its right side via a similar shell-clapping movement called the " righting reflex ".
- This is because cats were more able to complete the righting reflex rotation from a higher story, as they were able to reach terminal velocity, or free fall, and fell to the ground in a relaxed posture.
- Behavioral changes can include lethargy, a failure to seek shelter, a failure to flee, a loss of righting reflex, and abnormal posture ( e . g . sitting with the hind legs away from the body ).
- *An unconscious reaction is seen in the human proprioceptive reflex, or righting reflex in the event that the body tilts in any direction, the person will cock their head back to level the eyes against the horizon.
- These automatic postural adjustments can be explained in terms of two reflexes similar to the righting reflex : the "'vestibulo-ocular reflex ( VOR ) "'and the "'vestibulocollic reflex ( VCR ) " '.
- While humans are by far the most common passengers, non-human animals have occasionally been involved in experiments, including a notable experiment on how weightlessness affected a Domestic cat's righting reflex and a pigeon's attempts to navigate in a weightless state.
- The "'falling cat problem "'is a problem that consists of explaining the underlying physics behind the observation of the cat righting reflex : that is, how a free-falling body ( cat ) can change its orientation such that it is able to right itself as it falls to land on its feet, irrespective of its initial orientation, and without violating the law of conservation of angular momentum.