pacificist in a sentence
- In addition, China's senior leader, Jiang Zemin, has undermined China's position that force is justifiable when it comes to Taiwan by repeatedly taking a pacificist position against the Iraq war.
- Eric Gutkind belonged to a pacificist-mystical circle of European intellectuals which at different points included Walter Benjamin, Martin Buber, L . E . J . Brouwer, Henri Borel, Frederik van Eeden, Wassily Kandinsky, Franz Oppenheimer, Walter Rathenau, Romain Rolland, Upton Sinclair and Rabindranath Tagore.
- The vote, scheduled for Friday, is a gambit to force pacificist members of the Greens to back what would be Germany's largest foray outside Europe since World War II . Eight have indicated they would vote against the planned deployment of 3, 900 troops to the U . S .-led campaign.
- Likewise the French Socialist Party and its union, the CGT, especially after the assassination of the pacificist Jean Jaur�s, organised mass rallies and protests until the outbreak of war, but once the war began they argued that in wartime socialists should support their nations against the aggression of other nations and also voted for war credits.
- Although he considered himself a pacificist, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and was assigned to the Royal Air Force in England, serving as a navigator ( Pilot Officer ) on Halifax bombers flying nighttime missions over Germany during World War II . On his return home, he continued his studies at Dalhousie University before receiving a fellowship to pursue advanced studies at Union Theological Seminary in New York City.
- "Ashoka's Dream " is the third in a series of change-ups : operas commissioned from American composers, ranging in subject from critic John Ruskin ( David Lang's " Modern Painters ", a 19th-century New England version of the Oedipus story ( Tobias Picker's " Emmeline " ) and " Ashoka's Dream, " which relates the story of the conversion, millenniums ago, of an Indian warrior-king to the pacificist tenets of Buddhism.